Why We Oppose an Organic Checkoff
- This will be just another Tax on farmers either directly or indirectly when processors pass the cost down.
- Want to promote the benefits of Organic? You can’t in a check-off. Even something as simple and accurate as “Organic is the Gold Standard,” will not be allowed by USDA.
- The Check-off system is fundamentally broken for farmers – the federally mandated check-off programs have restrictive guidelines, heavy bureaucracy, lack of accountability and cost of administration.
- Check-off programs have a history of using check-off funds inappropriately, with poor representation of farmer priorities in granting of research dollars.
- Commodity check-off programs that are successful see a decline of family farmers in business.
- Promoting organic sales now will not increase organic acreage in the US but will increase lower priced organic imports.
The No Organic Checkoff opposition, reaches 1,387 signatures! See the most recent petition here. The comments from farmers tell you more than any organization could… farmers do NOT want an organic checkoff.
Organic Farmers Do NOT Want a Checkoff: Organic Farmer Opposition Surpasses The Organic Trade Association’s Farmer Support for Organic Checkoff July 11, 2016 – More organic farmers oppose the proposed Organic Trade Association’s (OTA) organic checkoff than support it; the No Organic Checkoff Coalition asks USDA to close the proposed checkoff. The No Organic Checkoff Coalition, […]
The documented organic farmer opposition to the OTA’s proposal for an organic checkoff increases every day. On July 1, 2016 we have 905 signatures opposed to the organic checkoff. NoOrganicCheckoffPetition-7-1-2016
No Organic Checkoff Coalition www.noorganiccheckoff.com • firstname.lastname@example.org Organic Promotion, Research, and Information Order Room 3071-S, STOP 0201 Agricultural Marketing Service USDA 1400 Independence Avenue SW Washington, DC 20250-0201 June 7, 2016 Submitted electronically to email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com On behalf of the No Organic Checkoff Coalition, representing 755 signatories opposed to an organic checkoff, including 25 organic […]
To browse past posts, go to our blog page, or click on the post categories at right.